The UQ Tennis will be launching a new Singles competition after the finish of First Semester...
The UQ Tennis Club runs Competitive and Non-Competitive Tennis Programs for players of all...

Feed aggregator

2017 ATP Finals Tickets Go On Public Sale

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 11:35pm

Tickets to the 2017 ATP Finals are now on public sale, the ATP announced on Tuesday. From today, fans can secure their place at the prestigious season-ending showdown from 12-19 November at The O2 in London, featuring only the best eight qualified singles players and doubles teams, by purchasing tickets at www.ATPFinals.com.

Just over a month into the 2017 ATP World Tour season, all eight qualification spots in singles and doubles remain up for grabs as players continue to battle throughout the season for a chance to compete for the last title of the year in London.

Buy Your Tickets Now

The 2017 season has got off to one of the most memorable starts in recent history, highlighted by a record-breaking Australian Open that culminated with the latest chapter of a Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal rivalry that has transcended the sport over the past 15 years.

The Swiss and Spaniard are back at the top of the Emirates ATP Race to London in first and second place respectively. Elsewhere, Grigor Dimitrov has signalled his early intent with his best start to a season to-date, capturing a title at the Brisbane International presented by Suncorp before reaching the Australian Open semi-finals. The Bulgarian currently sits in third place in the Race, followed by Stan Wawrinka in fourth place.

Last year’s ATP Finals produced a historic culmination to the season, marking the first time that the year-end No.1 ranking was on the line for both finalists in the final match of the year. Andy Murray defeated Novak Djokovic to capture his first ever season-ending crown, and in the process became only the 17th player in history to finish as year-end No.1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings (since 1973). The season-ending event has now welcomed more than 2 million fans to The O2 since it moved to London in 2009.

‘Last year’s spectacular finish to the season at The O2 will live long in the memory,’ said Chris Kermode, ATP Executive Chairman & President. ‘The 2017 season has got off to an amazing start and, with all roads leading to London in November, we look forward to welcoming another 250,000 fans to The O2 in November for our 2017season finale.’

This year’s tournament will offer a record breaking US$ 8 million in prize money. The season-ending event has been contested in major cities around the world with a rich history dating back to The Masters in 1970 in Tokyo. Since 2000, the event has taken place in cities such as Lisbon, Sydney and Shanghai, before moving to London in 2009 where it will be held through 2018.

Ringside doctor quit during Green-Mundine fight

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 6:12pm

Lou Lewis, one of the doctors involved in the highly anticipated re-match between boxers Anthony Mundine and Danny Green, quit after Green was concussed in the first round but the bout was allowed to go another nine rounds.

Nadal To Join Murray In Queen's Field

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 4:42pm

Rafael Nadal will join Andy Murray in the Aegon Championships at The Queen’s Club in June. The Spaniard – winner of 69 ATP World Tour singles titles, including two Wimbledon crowns – can’t wait to return to the prestigious grass-court tournament he won in 2008. 

“I am very happy to be coming back to Queen’s in June,” said Nadal, who went on to win Wimbledon for the first time nine years ago, just three weeks after his triumph at The Queen’s Club. “Winning the title in 2008 is a great memory for me, the people that organise the event at Queen’s and the British crowds are fantastic, and it is the best way for me to be ready for Wimbledon.”

Nadal’s two Wimbledon titles (’08, ’10) both followed good runs at the Aegon Championships. He reached the Wimbledon final five times between 2006 and 2011, making the quarter-finals or better at The Queen’s Club prior to each one. 

Stephen Farrow, Aegon Championships tournament director, was delighted to confirm the World No. 6 in the Emirates ATP Rankings had joined the field. “Rafa is one of the greatest tennis players of all time and one of the most popular ever to play at The Queen’s Club,” he said.

“To be able to add his name to that of the world No.1, Andy Murray, in the Aegon Championships line-up in a year when we are expanding our Centre Court capacity by 30 per cent, and just a week after reaching the final in Australia, is wonderful news for the tournament, our spectators and our sponsors.”

Tara McGregor-Woodhams, head of brand and sponsorship, Aegon UK said: “We are thrilled that Rafael Nadal has committed to playing the Aegon Championships this summer. Everyone loves watching him play, and we look forward to seeing him in June.”

The Aegon Championships will be held from June 19-25 at The Queen’s Club, London.

Chardy Topples Spanish Seed In Montpellier

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 3:18pm

Frenchman Jeremy Chardy upset seventh seed Marcel Granollers 6-0, 3-6, 6-3 on Monday to start the Open Sud de France in Montpellier. The 29-year-old Chardy saved seven of nine break points against Granollers and now leads their FedEx ATP Head2Head series 3-2.

Chardy is assured of meeting a fellow Frenchman in the second round, either Paul-Henri Mathieu or lucky loser Vincent Millot.

Dustin Brown, a semi-finalist a year ago, improved to 5-3 lifetime in Montpellier with a 7-6(4), 6-3 victory against Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez. The German's win booked a second-round showdown with top seed Marin Cilic.

[ALSO LIKE]

Man charged over All Blacks hotel-room bugging

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 3:00pm

A man, understood to be a security consultant for New Zealand's All Blacks rugby team, is charged over a listening device found in the team's Sydney hotel room during last year's Bledisloe Cup.

Tipsarevic Continues Climb To Top 100 In Quito

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 3:00pm

Former World No. 8 Janko Tipsarevic took a step closer to returning to the Top 100 on Monday with a first-round win against Spaniard Daniel Gimeno-Traver at the Ecuador Open. The Serbian wild card advanced when Gimeno-Traver retired down 1-4.

The 32-year-old Tipsarevic started the year at No. 144 in the Emirates ATP Rankings but has climbed to No. 101 after winning back-to-back ATP Challenger Tour titles in Bangkok last month. He hasn't been inside the Top 100 since April 2014 when he was No. 94.

[ALSO LIKE]

Tipsarevic, who's playing in his first ATP World Tour tournament since Moscow last October, will meet 2016 finalist Thomaz Bellucci of Brazil in the second round. Austrian Gerald Melzer hit 14 aces to knock off sixth seed Horacio Zeballos of Argentina 6-7(4), 6-3, 7-6(4). Colombian Santiago Giraldo won 77 per cent of his first-serve points to beat German Benjamin Becker 6-4, 6-4.

Wild card Giovanni Lapentti, playing his final ATP World Tour event, rode home-crowd support to take down No. 7 seed Thiago Monteiro, of Brazil, 6-3, 6-2. The 34-year- old from Guayaquil, who reached a career-high No. 110 in 2005, announced his would retire after this tournament and had not won a match in two prior appearances.

Giovanni will team with brother Nicolas in doubles for the final time. Nicolas was ranked as high as No. 6 in the Emirates ATP Rankings in 1999.

NRL bunker gets overhaul for 2017 season

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 1:54pm

The NRL's controversial bunker system is stripped of some of its powers ahead of the 2017 season.

Ex-Dockers player Yarran pleads not guilty to aggravated assault

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 1:44pm

Former Fremantle Docker Shane Yarran pleads not guilty to a charge of assaulting a family member.

Albot Sets Up Goffin Meeting In Sofia

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 11:46am

Moldovan Radu Albot kicked off main draw play at the 2017 Garanti Koza Sofia Open on Monday with a 7-6(0), 6-2 win against 19-year-old Alexandar Lazarov of Bulgaria. Albot, No. 92 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, converted all four break points against Lazarov, who received a wild card into the main draw.

The 27-year-old Albot will meet second seed David Goffin in the second round. Goffin, No. 11 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, is one of four Top 20 players at the Garanti Koza Sofia Open, along with World No. 8 Dominic Thiem, top Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov and defending champion Roberto Bautista Agut.

[ALSO LIKE]

Bulgarian wild cards were more fortunate in doubles. Dimitar Kuzmanov and Alexandar Lazov battled past Ariel Behar of Uruguay and Andrei Vasilevski of Belarus 6-4, 6-7(9), 10-7.

Cahill sorry for foul-mouthed derby outburst at ref

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 10:48am

Tim Cahill apologises for swearing at A-League referee Chris Beath during last weekend's fiery Melbourne derby, acknowledging his behaviour hurt the game.

Dimitrov’s Homecoming In Sofia

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 9:51am

Grigor Dimitrov is a man in demand this week at the Garanti Koza Sofia Open. A national hero even before the 2017 Australian Open, his status has only elevated after his exhilarating semi-final with Rafael Nadal in Melbourne. He has turned his whole nation into avid tennis fans.

It makes for perfect timing for a homecoming for the 25-year-old Dimitrov, who is set to play an ATP World Tour event in Bulgaria for the first time. It will be a nostalgic week for the right-hander, who will walk out to the support of 10,000 fans, including his nearest and dearest friends and family, for his first-round match on Thursday night. 

“It's amazing,” Dimitrov told ATPWorldTour.com on Monday, following a practice session with top seed Dominic Thiem. “I think the last time I competed out here I was a junior, playing on the Futures on the clay courts. It's very special. I don't get the chance to come home often, so every time I'm here it's always pretty hectic. But what can I do? It's part of the game. No excuses. I'm here to play tennis,” added the Haskovo native, who was applauded into his pre-tournament press conference on Saturday before taking a selfie with the assembled media.

pic.twitter.com/fou9IYqKJJ

Grigor Dimitrov (@GrigorDimitrov) February 4, 2017

"My family have always been by my side and supporting me throughout my career. Even when I'm not doing well they still think I'm the best! Nothing substitutes the love from your family. To play at home, in front of them, it's a feeling that you can only have as a player.”

Bulgaria came to a standstill as Dimitrov battled Nadal for five sets a week and a half ago on Rod Laver Arena. For a nation starved of a sporting icon since footballer Dimitar Berbatov played in the English Premier League, everyone was behind Dimitrov’s every shot. It was joked that the only Bulgarian at work that Friday was Dimitrov.

When asked his reaction to the level of interest, Dimitrov exclaimed, "I was excited! I actually asked myself that question (‘What was it like back home?’) and wished I could just have a peek at those kind of moments, even though I was performing. I honestly wished I could see it. I appreciate it. Bulgaria's a small country. We don't have that many sports right now and if I can bring that to the whole nation it's pretty amazing.”

Victory was so close for Dimitrov, who had come into Melbourne on a hot streak, winning the Brisbane International presented by Suncorp at the start of the season. But he couldn’t convert two break points in the eighth game of the fifth set, and Nadal eventually prevailed, denying Dimitrov the chance to play Roger Federer in Dimitrov's first Grand Slam final.

It was a long way from home for the young man who first started playing tennis against a wall when his mother handed him a racquet at the age of three. For someone who describes tennis as “my passion, my love, my work, my best friend,” defeat in Melbourne was difficult to digest.

"I think it was very tough for me,” said Dimitrov. “As soon as the match ended I was in tears in the locker room. I was replaying the match at least 20 times the same night. I slept about two hours. It was not really the most pleasant day after.

“But then I kind of realised that I got that far and I just had to get on with it. That's the next step. I don't want to discourage myself and I just need to keep my head high. Keep on working. Stay on the ground, stay humble and keep up the good work.”

Dimitrov is no stranger to pressure, having shouldered national and international expectation on the ATP World Tour throughout his career. It has only increased after Melbourne and as such, it is a steely eyed, calm, focused and determined Dimitrov who is prepared to take on a strong field in Sofia, featuring Thiem, David Goffin and defending champion Roberto Bautista Agut.

"I have to deal with the pressure, with the media, not disappointing at home. I'm aware of all these things and I'm just me. I'm going to do me. I'm going to give myself the best preparation that I can before my first match and hopefully everything unfolds on a positive note for me.”

First AFLW rising star noms go to Ebony Marinoff, Bailey Hunt

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 9:28am

Adelaide midfielder Ebony Marinoff and Western Bulldogs defender Bailey Hunt receive the first AFL Women's rising star nominations.

Brady loses his shirt, but smiling after emotional Super Bowl win

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 8:22am

The Texas Rangers are called in to investigate as Super Bowl-winning quarterback Tom Brady has his jersey stolen after the big game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Quito 2017

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 7:58am

Montpellier 2017

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 7:37am

Springboks great Joost van der Westhuizen dies at 45

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 6:49am

A long battle ends for Springboks rugby great Joost van der Westhuizen, who dies from a form of motor neurone disease at the age of 45.

Technique key in unforgiving India: Haddin

ABC Sport - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 5:44am

Brad Haddin says India can be an unforgiving place for a wicketkeeper, noting Matthew Wade must trust his technique in the upcoming Test series.

Harrison Returns To Top 70 & Mover Of The Week

ATP news - Tue, 07/02/2017 - 12:31am

Ryan Harrison has returned to the Top 70 of the Emirates ATP Rankings for the first time since 18 February 2013 (No. 69) after he captured the fourth ATP Challenger Tour title of his career. The 24-year-old American did not drop a set all week at the RBC Tennis Championships of Dallas and clinched the crown with a 6-3, 6-3 win over #NextGenATP Taylor Fritz. Read Report

Harrison jumped 16 places to No. 62 – 19 positions off his career-high of No. 43 on 16 July 2012. The 19-year-old Fritz rose 15 spots to No. 83 in the Emirates ATP Rankings and is also currently No. 12 in the Emirates ATP Race To Milan, with the Top 7 singles players - aged 21-and-under - automatically qualifying for the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan in November

Four other #NextGenATP players Hyeon Chung (No. 70, +3), Yoshihito Nishioka (No. 82, +3), Frances Tiafoe (No. 94, +3) and Jared Donaldson (No. 95, +5) also moved up in the Emirates ATP Rankings.

View Latest Emirates ATP Rankings

Elsewhere, former World No. 27 Adrian Mannarino notched ATP Challenger Tour trophy No. 13 on Sunday by beating German Peter Gojowczyk 6-4, 6-4 in the final of the Open BNP Paribas Banque De Bretagne. As a result, he moved up four spots to No. 56.

View ATP Challenger Tour Section

No Emirates ATP Rankings points were awarded at Davis Cup ties last week.

[ALSO LIKE]

Cook resigns as England's Test captain after rough 2016

ABC Sport - Mon, 06/02/2017 - 9:41pm

Alastair Cook, the man who led England to victory in two home Ashes series against Australia, has resigned as captain, saying it is the right time for him to step down.